Bulletproof Coffee & CBD Oil Are The Perfect Match
If you're a coffee drinker then there is no doubt that you've heard of bulletproof coffee or 'butter coffee'. This recipe rose to popularity in 2013-2014 largely thanks to entrepreneur Dave Asprey.
Though it may have seemed trendy when it first came to popularity, the widespread consumption of this unique morning brew has held strong since. Bulletproof coffee is designed to help bolster the benefits of a normal cup of coffee by infusing it with high-quality fats. These fats provide clean, satisfying energy and focus for hours.
The addition of CBD oil to the mix holds huge potential for this morning brew. The synergy with the high-fat content of the bulletproof coffee provides benefit packed, effective potential.
Below we take a look at bulletproof coffee, the beneficial synergies with CBD, and provide you an easy-to-make recipe for a next-level infused coffee experience.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is part of a diet by the same name. The recipe for the original brew requires three main components which are blended together:
- High-quality coffee beans
- Grass-fed butter or ghee
- MCT Oil
The idea behind the diet is to burn fat, curb cravings, and have consistent energy. The butter and MCT oil in the blend absorb the caffeine in the coffee. This allows a slower release of this energy-boosting molecule as it is broken down by your stomach acids. The coffee is widely loved because it:
- Decrease food cravings
- Improve mental performance
- Increase focus
- Provide a rich source of healthy fats & antioxidants
For those unfamiliar, blended butter and oil in a coffee usually causes skepticism at first glance. With a little faith, those who try it are often won over by this delicious, foamy drink and the benefits it provides.
CBD & Coffee: A Great Combo
CBD and coffee (not bulletproof) are already known to have beneficial co-administration effects. There are three main ones that we highlight in our coffee & CBD article:
- Coffee's boost of energy and alertness can be "smoothed out" by CBD's calming effects. This can help prevent or lessen the 'jitters'.
- Both substances are antioxidants, working together to rid the body of toxins.
- Caffeine's interruption of sleep could be mediated by CBD which is known to have positive impacts on sleep quality.
These benefits, on top of the benefits of a bulletproof approach to coffee, can bring big improvements to your morning pick-me-up.
Healthy Fats & CBD: A Bioavailability Game Changer
The CBD industry faces big challenges when it comes to bioavailability. This fancy term is simply the measure of how much of a compound is absorbed by the body and how much is flushed and ultimately wasted. The target is high bioavailability - when a larger percentage of the consumed product becomes active in the body.
Taken in their raw form, CBD-rich hemp extracts are poorly absorbed. There has been much focus on improving the bioavailability of CBD products in order to reduce waste and improve the effectiveness of a given dose.
One of the primary ways this is achieved is through consuming CBD with healthy fats. We take an in-depth look at the subject in this article, but the important takeaway is that consuming healthy fats with CBD increases absorption.
What this means is that beyond the CBD and coffee benefits we highlighted above, the high-fat content of bulletproof coffee is the PERFECT platform for CBD consumption. Infusing your bulletproof coffee with CBD doesn't just provide the added benefits of CBD infusion, it also helps increase the amount of CBD absorbed by the body!
One Step Further with our Nanoemulsified Tincture
What you'll find out there is that most people infusing CBD with bulletproof coffee are using an oil-based tincture. This is one of the few cases where putting an oil tincture in a drink works, but at the end of the day, you're still using a product designed for sublingual use and swallowing it. This leaves room for improvement.
By utilizing our Hydro Tincture instead of an oil-based tincture you can maximize the effectiveness of this infusion. Hydro utilizes nano emulsification to create a water-soluble formula that increases oral bioavailability by up to 5x over an orally consumed oil tincture. Combining this nanoemulsified formula with the high-fat content of bulletproof coffee and you're looking at the most effective CBD-coffee infusion around!
How to Make CBD-Infused Bulletproof Coffee
The first step to making your own CBD-infused bulletproof blend is to gather the right ingredients:
- One cup (8-12 oz) of single-origin, small-batch, organic coffee beans
- 1 Teaspoon to 2 Tablespoons of MCT oil high in C8 (caprylic acid)
- 1-2 Tablespoons of unsalted grass-fed butter (we recommend Kerrygold brand butter) or 1-2 teaspoons ghee
- 1-3 Droppers Full (8.3 - 25 mg CBD) of our Hydro CBD Tincture
Once you've got everything together, follow these instructions to make the perfect cup of CBD-infused buttery goodness. Note: with the oil, butter, and CBD it is generally recommended to start low and increase the amount of oil over time based on taste & effects.
- Using a french press or single-cup brewer like the Aeropress, brew one cup (8-12 oz) of coffee.
- Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of MCT oil.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or 1-2 teaspoons of ghee (for those who don't wish to consume lactose) to the mix.
- Add 1-3 droppers full of our CBD hydro tincture depending on your desired dosage.
- Mix it in a traditional blender or using a hand blender for 20-30 seconds before serving. We recommend pre-heating your serving cup in the microwave or with hot water to improve the taste!
What you're left with is a delicious, benefit-packed brew that provides long-lasting, energy and focus. You're also getting the CBD absorption benefits of the healthy, high-fat content of the coffee - the result is the ultimate benefit packed, synergistic blend of morning goodness!
We would love to hear your feedback on this recipe in the comments below. Let us know how it works, how it tastes, and if you have any tips or tricks to brewing the perfect cup.